- 1984, Boston College, lost coach Gary Williams soon thereafter to Ohio
State. Program revived long enough to beat UNC, then self-destructed and
lost Jim O' Brien to...Ohio State.
- 1985, Washington. The next year they played in Durham so riddled
with injuries that Detlelf Schrempf had to play point guard. A long decline
ensued and their German connection dried up. Decline finally arrested
- 1986, Louisville: A long slow descent followed, complete
- 1987, Indiana: A painful downperiod until 1992 Final Four
(where they lost to.....Duke). Continued decline ever since '92.
- 1988, Kansas: Probation, lost coach.
- 1989, Seton Hall: slow decline ensued, finally
- 1990, Vegas. Lost rematch, lost coach, lost most prestige,
got Rollie Massimino
- 1991 n/a
- 1992 n/a
- 1993, Cal. Probation, lost coach, big scandal.
- 1994, Arkansas: a small probation, faded for several years,
just now reviving
- 1995 n/a
- 1996, Eastern Michigan: Lost coach, faded from view
- 1997, Providence: Program peaked, fell, lost coach to Uva
- 1998, Kentucky: Lost coach to NBA, lost players to hardship in '98, draft,
transfers at the end of '99, a rash of serious auto related problems.
- 1999, UConn: Reefer Madness, Hamilton left, two car problems. Doug Wrenn
arrested before coming to UConn & then suspended for the Duke game.
- 2000 Florida lost Mike Miller and Donnell Harvey to the draft.
- 2000 Kentucky missed on key target Chris Duhon who chose Duke.
- 2001 Michael Southhill, who had picked Kentucky, was dropped by the Cats
after a drug conviction and never made it to campus.
- 2001 After a major battle, Bob Knight was forced out at Indiana after a
video showed him either striking a player or choking him.
- 2001 UNLV fired head coach.
- 2001 Louisville forces long-time coach Denny Crum out.
- 2001 Rick Pitino failed at Boston and returned to the Bluegrass State to
torment the faithful.
- 2001 Florida's Teddy Dupay is under investigation for gambling and Kwame
Brown bolts for the NBA before ever playing at UF.
- 2001 A pre-season favorite, Kentucky has lost Jason Parker for the year.
Not pretty, is it? Beware the cost of beating Duke!!