Barry Jacobs has
a column up about Duke's freshman class. He quotes a number of people, from
Tom Konchalski and BrickOettinger to Bob Gibbons. Almost every player gets some
- In Williams' case, he has a "low threshold for pain." Konchalski
- Dunleavy will only be a good reserve and isn't athletic enough to be
- Horvath might never start. Oettinger
- Boozer is soft inside and lacks heart. Gibbons
- Sanders "has no clue," according to Gibbons
- Andre Buckner is probably pegged about right
To us some of these seem off, but soon enough it will come clear. In
Dunleavy's case, you don't have to be fast if you understand the game quickly.
He's certainly no faster than Bird ever was, not that that's a fair comparison,
but you get the point. Sanders is not yet a basketball player, but
his talent is enormous. Anyway, time will tell, but some of these guru judgments seem off to us.