On Monday, ACC Today listed, in their countdown of coaches, Frank McGuire as
coach #6. They said that he was the only coach to win 100 games at 3 division
one schools. They'd know better than we would, but it's hard to believe. We
don't have records here, but here are our suspects:
- Lefty Driesell: Coached at Davidson, Maryland, James Madison, and now
Georgia State. At least two out of three of the first two were over one
hundred, and another might be.
- Tark: Long Beach State, UNLV, and Fresno.
- Eddie Sutton: Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Oklahoma State.
Definitely two out of three and Creighton is possible. We can't remember how
long he was at Kentucky.
- Bill Foster: Utah, Duke, South Carolina, Northwestern. Throw out NW.
- The other Bill Foster: UNCC, Clemson, Virginia Tech.
- Hugh Durham: Jacksonville, Georgia, and one other school.
- Sonny Smith. ETSU, Auburn, and VCU. He must be close.
- Tom Davis: BC, Stanford, and Iowa
Guys who are (or might be) close soon:
- Pete Gillen (Xavier, PC, UVa)
- Jim Harrick (Pepperdine, UCLA, Georgia)
- Mike Jarvis (BU, GW, St. John's)
- Rick Pitino (PC, UK, ?)
- Billy Tubbs: (Lamar, OU, TCU)
- Lon Kruger: (KSU, Fla, Illinois)
- Tom Penders (Rhode Island, Texas, GW)
- Bob Boyd?
- Gary Colson?