With the draft coming up Thursday, and Joel Embiid's injury having caused chaos, we thought it would be a good time to run down some links.
|If you shop Amazon, please start here and help DBR|
The biggest news though is the end of Isaiah Austin's career as he's been diagnosed with Marfan syndrome.
Marfan's weakens the connective tissue of the heart and can lead to a ruptured aorta, so obviously a stressful sport like basketball is out.
In the 1970s, Maryland's Chris Patton, who had not been diagnosed, died during a pickup game.
Florida State lost Ronalda Pierce in 2004, and it was Marfan's that claimed Hank Gathers.
It's sad that he'll have to give the game up, but at least he found out and will live, one hopes, a good long life.
Back to the draft.
NBA Draft Express now has Andrew Wiggins #1, Jabari Parker #2 and Australia's Dante Exum #3.
Embiid has fallen to #4 in their view.
NBADraft.net sees the top four this way: Wiggins, Parker, Embiid and Marcus Smart. Exum here falls to Boston at #6.
USA Today sees it Wiggins, Parker, Embiid and Exum.
As for Rodney Hood:
- NBADraft.net: #9, Charlotte
- NBA Draft Express: #18, Phoenix
- USA Today: #13, Minnesota
- The common-sense 2014 NBA mock draft
- 2014 NBA Draft: Ranking the power forwards of this draft class
- Isaiah Austin's NBA dreams end with Marfan syndrome diagnosis
- 2014 NBA Draft: Ranking the shooting guards of this draft class
- Berger: Cavaliers 'leaning' towards Jabari Parker
- Jabari Parker visited Joel Embiid in the hospital