Things have gotten very different very quickly for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
|If you shop Amazon, please start here and help DBR|
When Joel Embiid followed his back surgery with foot surgery, people understandably got skittish about drafting him. The Lakers are now talking about being interested, which tells you how much his prospects have been damaged: the Lakers pick seventh.
Some sources have said no one should take him before the 10th pick, but that could just as easily be draft head games.
All of this changes things rather significantly for Jabari Parker, who was generally seen as the second or third pick.
Cleveland's plans may understandably change, and those plans may be complicated as well by the hiring of David Blatt.
Blatt, you may recall, was the coach for Maccabi Haifa when Jeremy Tyler was attempting to get to the NBA by playing internationally instead of finishing high school and a year or two at Louisville.
It worked to an extent, although Tyler arrived in the NBA as a 39th pick rather than the lottery pick he might have been.
We mention it here because Blatt had no patience with Tyler, who was notably (and understandably) immature.
What did anyone expect? He was a teenager in a strange country.
Anyway, we're curious about how much input Blatt will have on the draft pick.
We are not demeaning Andrew Wiggins when we say that Parker is notably more mature. He's more mature than just about everyone in the draft.
Blatt is an inspired choice for other reasons: Cleveland allegedly had some problems with younger players, as noted by Luol Deng.
Given what we saw in Israel, he's not likely to tolerate a lot of nonsense.
And secondly, he played point guard for Pete Carrill.
The Princeton offense gets a certain amount of disdain because it can seem slow.
It can be when it's used to negate physical advantage, but it doesn't have to be.
It can be as fast as anyone wants to make it.
Blatt is known as a great basketball mind and a disciplinarian. That sounds like a good combination for the Cavs, and like it might be a good situation for Parker as well.
- Jabari Parker solid in workout for Cavaliers
- Jabari Parker's Workout Complicates Cavaliers' Decision
- NBA Rumors: Cavaliers Leaning Towards Jabari Parker With First Pick
- NBA Draft Rumors: Cleveland Cavaliers Desire To Trade Down?
- No. 1 question: How far will Joel Embiid fall?
- Joel Embiid's injury could prove costly
- Lakers give draft prospects another look, and keep eye on Joel Embiid
- Report: Lakers would consider drafting Embiid at No. 7
- How far will Joel Embiid slide?
- Is there any coach with more upside than David Blatt? Hey, Mary!
- New Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt known for innovation and winning
- Former OSU star Scoonie Penn says Kyrie Irving will benefit from new coach David Blatt
- Does the David Blatt hire shrink any possibility of LeBron James returning to Cleveland?
- Cleveland Cavaliers hiring David Blatt is a huge risk, but perhaps it's one worth taking -- Terry Pluto
- David Blatt could bring new experiences as Cavaliers coach, and what's wrong with that? -- Bill Livingston